Chapter 1

Chapter 1

Pat met Chris in school.  They both attended community college in Denver.  They both had Professor Pena* for a class about food justice.

Pat approached Chris after class,

"I bought a breakfast burrito from you this morning.  I thought I would say hi,"



Chris smiled, "I hope you liked it."

"Yes, it was very good."


Chris looked off into the distances.  "It could be much better.  It is hard to find fresh ingredients." and then, after a few moments, "You should taste the ones I make with my grandmother's yard raised eggs and greens from her garden.  It's like Professor Pena says, food we grow ourselves tastes better and is better for you."

Now it was Pat's turn to look off into the distance.  "I pay my tuition doing landscaping.  Most of it is just mowing lawns because I won't use the pesticides.  I would like to do things different.  I did an internship at the Living Systems Institute.**  It would be great if I could get my clients to grow things that way."

That is how it began. 






*In this narrative we will add names to further the story.  Profession Devon G. Pena works at the University of Washington and founded the Acequia Institute in the San Luis Valley of Colorado.  He is editor of "Mexican-Origin Foods, Foodways, and Social Movements", https://smile.amazon.com/Mexican-Origin-Foods-Foodways-Social-Movements/dp/1682260364/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1512600294&sr=1-1&keywords=Devon+Pena

**David Braden is the executive director of the Living Systems Institute located in Golden, Colorado.  http://www.livingsystemsinst.org/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Four Subsystem Model

A Crowd Sourced Narrative

20 Years Unlearning to Garden